The Way We C It
I admit it, and I have no shame in doing so, I am a total snob. I demand quality and expect nothing but the best, especially when it comes to my face. A friend once told me, if you want to be successful in the retail business you have to either be the best or the cheapest. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of a company that has succeeded because they are the cheapest, is Walmart. Lord knows how I despise this store. Talk about piss-poor quality and customer service. As a consumer, I prefer doing business with those who pride in themselves on being the BEST, certainly not the cheapest. That doesn’t mean I buy the most expensive product on the market, I do my research and find the best product for my money. Needless to say, I don’t have very high hopes for Avalon Organics Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum. I will set aside the fact that this is a Walmart product and give it a fair review. Who knows, maybe they’ll surprise me?
Avalon Organics Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum Ingredients
- Organic Lavandula Augustifolia (Lavender): Calms the skin, reduces inflammation and stimulates cell growth.
- Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile): Helps neutralize skin irritants
- Organic Aloe Barbadensis: Possesses soothing, antibacterial, and moisturizing properties. It may accelerate cell growth in the skin
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C): A water soluble lightening agent that accelerates the formation of collagen. MAP is a better choice of vitamin C for those who have sensitive skin and want to avoid an exfoliating effect.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Helps vitamin C penetrate deep into the skin. Hyaluronic Acid is often referred to as the “fountain of youth”, it has the ability to retain and hold moisture to the skin, and also helps support the formation and maintenance of collagen. Once collagen production starts to deteriorate is when our skin loses it’s tone and elasticity.
- Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5): Hydrates skin.
- Olive Squaline: Derived from oil, Olive Squaline is similar to our skins sebum making it compatible with skin lipids.
- Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil: Rich in vitamin E, and allows for better absorption into the lipid later of the skin.
- Tocopherol and Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E): Also referred to as Vitamin E, Tocopheryl Acetate is one of the most powerful antioxidants and protects your cells from free radicals that cause pre-mature aging and acne
- Lemon Bioflavonoids: Reduces inflammation and assists Vitamin C in rebuilding collagen.
- Melatonin: When combined with vitamins C and E, melatonin provides antioxidant effects and provides support for collagen synthesis and enhances photoprotective response of the skin.
- Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Oil: Rich in vitamin C
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Butter): Moisturizer
- Laminaria Digitata (Kelp) Extract: Moisturizes and firms the skin.
- Allantoin: Encourages skin renewal
- Organic Calendula Officinalis Extract: Softens damaged skin.
- Ethylhexylglycerin: A preservative that has been found to he a skin and eye irritant in two different studies.
- Other Ingredients: Emulsifying Wax, Vegetable Glycerin, Glyceryl Laurate, Soy Lecithin, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Amodimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) and Organic Arnica Montana Extracts (Aqueous), Organic Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil and Other Essential Oils, Organic Borago Officinalis (Borage) and Linum Usitatissimum (Flax Seed) Oils
- Available at multiple drug stores
- Soothes skin
- Low Quality
- Harsh on sensitive skin
- May cause dryness and irritation
- Does not reverse the signs of aging
The concept of this vitamin C serum is great, it has a number of antioxidants, moisturizing ingredients and essential oils, so we were surprised to find out that this serum is totally ineffective. Ultimately this serum doesn’t have enough of the right ingredients to reduce fine lines, wrinkles and scars. The derivative of vitamin C in Vitamin C Vitality is MAP, which is supposed to be great for those with sensitive skin, but there a number of reviews that complain about skin irritation and breakouts. We believe that the breakouts are caused by the essential oils and all the preservatives. MAP is one of the better vitamin C derivatives but in order for it to be effective it must be at 10% concentration to suppress melanin formation, so far we haven’t had any luck finding a vitamin C serum that contains 10%.
Not all the reviews have been negative, some consumers really like this serum because of the price, and it helps soothe and refresh their skin. Unfortunately, we could not find reviews from people who had success in reducing fine lines, wrinkles or scars. In the end, we conclude that Avalon Organics Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum is just a so-so product. If you are looking for quick, age-reversing results you may want to look elsewhere. My theory still stands, you get what you pay for and you will not find quality at Walmart.